Because this is so regularly misreported by out-dated blogs and websites, we thought we’d clarify – Although there is no ATM on Koh Rong as such, you can still get cash out at any of the three Eftpos terminals on Koh Touch (there is one at Green Ocean Guesthouse, one at White Rose Guesthouse, and one at Koh Lanta (though the one at Koh Lanta tends to run out of money)).
Get Cash Out at Green Ocean Guesthouse on Koh Touch
An Eftos terminal works just like a normal purchase, but you are buying your own money. Many bank cards are accepted here, so it is a very useful service if you need cash. There is a 10% charge however, so it may still be a good idea to take sufficient cash with you before you go (please try to bring small denominations ($) as it can be difficult to exchange large notes).
- Q: When is the best time to visit Koh Rong?
- Q: What activities are there?
- Q: How do I get to Koh Rong?
- Q: Is Koh Rong a party place?
- Q: Where are the best beaches?
- Q: What should I bring with me?
- Q: Is it easy to get a Cambodian Visa?
- Q: Is there an ATM on the islands?
- Q: Is there a medical facility on Koh Rong?
- Q: Is it a family-friendly place?
- Q: When is the rainy season?
- Q: Where was Survivor Kaoh Rong filmed?
Middle of November / December / January / February: Warm and dry. 25°C daytime.
March / April / May: Hot and dry. 35°C daytime.
June / July / August: Hot and wet. 35°C daytime.
September / October / Early November: Warm and wet. 25°C daytime.
Please see our Weather Guide for more information.
The islands are known for their stunning underwater panorama. Whether it’s snorkeling or scuba diving that you’re after, there are plenty of superb locations.
Kayaking & Paddle Boarding
Enjoy the crystal clear ocean waters by Kayaking or paddle boarding your way around – An ideal activity for couples and families alike.
Mountain Biking & Jungle Trekking
Explore the exotic jungle habitat by foot or via a mountain bike.
Sparkling like a starry sky all around you, the bioluminescent plankton are a wonderful sight to behold at night times.
Jet Skiing & Windsurfing
For some fast paced action on the beautiful clear waters, hire Jetskis or Windsurf.
To learn more, please read our Activities Guide.
It will take about 40 minutes to get to your destination if it’s the first stop. If the boat first stops elsewhere, it may take 1 hour or so.
All 5 services will charge roughly $25 return, though prices can vary depending on time of year, special offers, etc. All services leave from the Ochheuteal (AKA ‘Serendipity’) pier in Sihanoukville and go to the main tourist beaches on the islands. If your hotel is not on the main beaches (Koh Touch / Saracen Bay), please read Sihanoukville to Koh Rong.
The 5 services offer modern speed boats with comfortable chairs, life jackets, and the option to buy food and drink on board. Not all of the ferries have air-conditioning, but once the boats set off there is a strong cool breeze throughout the sitting areas which more than makes up for it.
All ferry services tend to be very busy – we strongly recommend you buy your tickets in advance. You can buy your tickets online now here: Book Ferry Tickets Online Now
1) Lonely Beach – Possibly the best beach on the islands (even bettering Lazy Beach on Koh Rong Samloem), is Lonely Beach to the northern side of Koh Rong Island. Although it is not in the most convenient location, it really is absolutely stunning. The small alcove feels like a real island-paradise, with crystal clear ocean waters, soft white sandy beaches, and tall palm trees all around. The atmosphere is quite serene – so peaceful and quiet with just a few crickets chirping in the background. There are very few people around, so you feel quite isolated and secluded out in a truly beautiful setting.
2) 4K Beach (Long Set Beach) – We would say that 4K beach is number two on the list, though there are now several resorts built along this wonderful stretch of white sand, sparkling turquoise ocean, and tropical jungle wilderness. What’s great about this beach, apart from the stunning scenery and inviting pristine waters, is that it’s a short walk away from the main tourist area on Koh Rong Island (Koh Touch).
3) White Beach – At number 3 we are going to put White Beach – A 10 minute walk from the main pier on Koh Touch. Admittedly, there are probably better beaches, but the convenience of White Beach and the quality of the resorts around this area push it up a place or two. Despite what you might read elsewhere, this far side of Koh Touch is not a party location and does not suffer from the same setbacks that other more popular areas experience. The beach on this part of the touristy stretch is clean and well-kept, with soft white sands and beautiful clear ocean waters.
For example, those that visit during the rainy season get to enjoy half-priced accommodation and beautiful rainy scenes, and because it never gets too cold in Cambodia, swimming in the ocean is still a very pleasurable experience (the water rarely drops beneath 25°C). Take a look at this article for more information: 5 Reasons to Visit Koh Rong Island in Rainy Season
In 2012, a special edition of the French Survivor (‘Koh Lanta’) was filmed near Sok San Village with an All-Star cast. The production team returned in 2013 and again in 2016 to film the regular editions.
In 2015, the American version of Survivor produced Season 31 (Survivor: Cambodia – Second Chance) and season 32 (Survivor: Kaoh Rong – Brains vs Brawn vs Beauty) on Koh Rong Island.
The 16th edition of Expedition Robinson (Sweden’s Survivor) was also filmed on the island.
Submit your review
Very useful thank you